Pages

Monday, October 24, 2011

Really?

I work with several guys, most of them are married. This morning I overheard a conversation and it really surprised me.

This gist of it is, S has a friend who recently got married. I'm not sure if it was this friend that had been married before or if his new wife had, either way, the new wife wanted the friend to change his last name, take her name not her take his. The new wife wanted to keep her maiden name.

So this is a little odd, but not unheard of, what surprises me is the conversation by my co-workers that follows.

T laughed, thought it was ridiculous. The friend would have to change everything! Insurance, drivers license, bank accounts etc. Poor guy

S Agreed,

T then asked what would happen if she kicked him to the curb. Would he keep the last name? would he have to change it all back? What a hassle

The S said with those demands its not a matter of if, but when new wife would kick the friend to the curb.

Um Sexist much Boys????

Both of their wives have changed their last name.

How is this any different than a man asking a woman to change hers? Really? When a woman gets married she is expected to change her name, and if she doesn't its a big deal. But for the man to change his name? "what a hassle" and "poor guy"

I honestly like these guys I work with. I admire them in a lot of ways, but unfortunately for them, and they will never know it, that little conversation knocked them down a peg or two.

I just can't believe something that is common and expected for a women is seen as a "hassle" and "pain" for a man!

No comments:

Post a Comment